About Me

My photo
Nashville, TN, United States
My name is McLean Smith and I am an observer of life. I like to create music, capture experiences, and refine expression through my observations. To me, music is a feeling. It is something that captivates one in the moment and releases reactions unknown. It is something I wish to create for the rest of my life. It is something I hope to share with the world.

Friday, April 6, 2012

Service Learning Visit #2 (Hours 3 and 4)

Two days later, I returned to Cohn Adult Learning Center for another appointment. I walked up the stairs and entered the learning center. After reviewing the lesson plan, I felt excited to tutor another person. My student arrived and we began our session (her name will be Jane).

To begin our lesson, Jane and I discussed our families and daily lives. Jane described her son and his interest in cartoons. Every morning, Jane and her son go downstairs and watch the shenanigans of "Tom and Jerry." While she recounted this habitual event, Jane's reminiscing tone indicated that her morning routine with her son was a bonding moment.

In the first hour, I tried to teach Jane about vocabulary terms regarding agreement and disagreement (e.g. annoyed, rapport, relationship, et cetera). Jane had some difficulties trying to understand and pronounce the words, so I tried to connect the lesson's material to her morning routine. I used animated facial expressions and body language to demonstrate the meanings of the specified vocabulary. Jane's comprehension of the terms improved and we decided to take a break.

After our break, we practiced pronunciation. We experienced some complications, so I decided to use the approach I created with Nate. As we experimented with my technique, Jane's pronunciation became defined and her face started to adorn a large smile. We attempted to complete the lesson, but we were unable to finish all of the remaining sections. Satisfied with Jane's progress, I chose to end the session and assigned no homework.

Following Jane's departure, I filled out the information sheet in the tutor folder. I handed my folder to the secretary at the main desk and observed her putting the folder into a filing cabinet. As I walked out of the learning center, my mind thought of the many folders in the filing cabinet. Each folder represented a unique individual willing to learn and improve, yet each folder was identical. While I waited for my ride, I wondered about the psychological implications of singular objects on the learning process.

No comments:

Post a Comment