About Me

My photo
Nashville, TN, United States
My name is McLean Smith and I am an observer of life. I like to create music, capture experiences, and refine expression through my observations. To me, music is a feeling. It is something that captivates one in the moment and releases reactions unknown. It is something I wish to create for the rest of my life. It is something I hope to share with the world.

Monday, February 27, 2012

Exploration of Subculture via Transcribed Outsider Interview

Me: What do you think songwriters do?

Interviewee: Well, they obviously write songs. I imagine that they use songs to represent their lives. They probably also play musical instruments and perform at venues.

Me: What interests you about songwriting?

Interviewee: I'm interested in creating songs that "spill my guts." Unfortunately, I feel as though I need to improve my writing before I can create songs. I'm also quite nervous about running out of inspiration for my songwriting.

Me: What are some of your favorite songs that incite powerful emotional responses? Why?

Interviewee: Some of my favorite songs are excerpts from Mozart, Puccini, and Strauss because I'm a Classical Voice Major [at Belmont University]. I'm also a big fan of Adele's songs because of her ability to make audiences connect with her material and her musicality.

Me: How long do you think it takes to write a song?

Interviewee: I don't really know. I've heard of some people writing songs in ten minutes, while others take a day or two. I suppose it depends on the writer and their mood.

Me: Have you ever written a song?

Interviewee: I did write a song when I was younger. It was inspired by the end of a relationship.

Me: How did it make you feel afterwards?

Interviewee: I felt accomplished because of the effort I put forth to create the song. It provided with me with reflection and closure.

No comments:

Post a Comment