About Me

My photo
Nashville, TN, United States
My name is McLean Smith and I am an observer of life. I like to create music, capture experiences, and refine expression through my observations. To me, music is a feeling. It is something that captivates one in the moment and releases reactions unknown. It is something I wish to create for the rest of my life. It is something I hope to share with the world.

Monday, February 13, 2012

Examples of Space and Materials affecting Culture in "Guns, Germs, and Steel"

Pizarro's seizure of Cajamarca impressed me because it showed how materials (i.e. horses and guns) had indirect cultural implications (i.e. biological genocide) as they traveled through space. Thus, it was not the materials that caused cultural consequences, but the indirect repercussions of said materials' uses in certain spaces.

Additionally, I was amused by the Spaniards being surprised by their own victory because they assumed their superiority in military positioning and technology had brought about the end of their conquest. Instead of accurately depicting their military campaigns, European colonists asserted their dominance in historical writings.

No comments:

Post a Comment