About Me

My photo
Nashville, TN, United States
My name is McLean Smith and I am an observer of life. I like to create music, capture experiences, and refine expression through my observations. To me, music is a feeling. It is something that captivates one in the moment and releases reactions unknown. It is something I wish to create for the rest of my life. It is something I hope to share with the world.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Youtube Video with Multiple Discourses

Spanish Lesson in Reverse Psychology: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpqsypjIyVQ

From the reading, discourses are forms of life which integrate words, acts, values, beliefs, attitudes, social identities, gestures, glances, body positions, and clothes. Additionally, discourses are mastered by the enculturation into social practices through interaction with people who have already mastered the discourses. Sometimes conflicts and tension come about due to differences when integrating the aforementioned forms of life.

In this video, there are multiple discourses taking place between a father and his son. These discourses take place due to the child's desire to use the car and the father's insistence on walking.

Due to their disagreement, the father and son use words, gestures, attitudes, and body positions in their discourses. The son gestures his predilection for driving by pointing his finger at the car. Both individuals use the tone of their words to convey their attitudes about their disagreement. The son's tone indicates his innocent contention. The father's tone responds authoritatively and uses a brilliant strategy to manipulate his child. Finally, the body positioning of the father and child reveal their preferred courses of action, driving and walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment